We Pray Because Jesus Is Worth It
The Draa Berbers
On the edge of nowhere live the Draa Berbers. This unreached, unengaged people group comprises nearly 500,000 people, living mostly along the Draa River valley. Speaking traditional Berber languages and dialects (Tašlhiyt), these peoples have little written literature and no access to God’s Word. This agricultural society struggles to produce primarily dates and barley with some wheat, corn, and beans. Cattle, goats, sheep, horses, and camels also dot the landscape. Although these Berbers follow Islamic fundamentals, they often intermingle their religious ideologies with traditional rituals. Because Jesus is worth it, Christ Place is praying for an evangelical witness among the Draa peoples. Will you join us in praying?
- Ask the Lord to call people willing to go and live and share Christ with Draa Berbers.
- Pray for an understanding of their language so that the Bible can be translated for them.
- Pray that God would reveal Himself to the Draa peoples in dreams, preparing their hearts for our short-term trips.
Spring of Life Church, Portland
Nearly 2.5 million people call Portland, Oregon, home. With a growing food and culture scene, incredible natural wonders, and a job market with companies such as Intel, Adidas, and Nike, there is no wonder that Portland is the fifteenth fastest growing metro area in the U.S. But despite all the beauty and wonder, Business Week named Portland, “America’s Unhappiest City.” Time Magazine called it the least religious city. Portland desperately needs Jesus. In 2015, Christ Place sent Aaron and Andrea Bennett to bring hope through a new church called Spring of Life. Because Jesus is worth it, this year we want to do more and pray more for the Bennetts and Spring of Life. Will you join us in praying?
- Pray that God would send leaders to join Aaron and Andrea in the work of reaching Portland for Christ.
- Pray that God would open the eyes and hearts of the people in Portland as Spring of Life shares the good news.
- Ask God if He wants you to go or to support someone else to go on one of the short-term trips to help Aaron and Andrea in Portland.
We Give Because Jesus Is Worth It
John is wealthy, but he lives on a fraction of his income so he can give to God’s global cause in missions. John and Daniel, his 12-year-old son, had this conversation.
Daniel said, “Dad, I think we should get a Hummer.” Pause. “Daniel, that’s a great idea. What if we got two Hummers?” John replied. Pause. “You know I could do that for you. I could buy enough Hummers to fill our garage and driveway,” he continued. Pause. But what if we didn’t buy those Hummers? What if we took that money and gave it to people who don’t know where they’re going to get their next meal or don’t have access to the gospel?”
John chooses less —— and with it, greater joy. He chooses to play the Game of Less. Because Jesus is worth it, John looks for ways to give up what he cannot really keep to gain what he can never lose. Will you join us in playing the Game of Less? Here is how it looks…
- Moments of greed become moments of gratitude. I see a new car and rejoice, “Thank you, Lord, for the chance to give to rescue unborn babies by supporting pregnancy care centers.”
- Moments of wanting become moments of worship. I see an ad for a cruise and rejoice, “God, how amazing that You would use people like us to support orphans in the Georgia foster care system.”
- Moments of empty desire can become moments of delight. My wardrobe is smaller, but I rejoice, because I helped feed the homeless living under bridges in Gainesville.
In the Game of Less, grasping becomes granting and coveting becomes contributing. And because Jesus is worth it, here are some causes we support, as we play the Game of Less…
Abiding Word Ministries | biblical help for those struggling in difficult situations
Backpack Love | feeding hungry kids on the weekend through school backpacks
Choices Pregnancy Care Center | providing care for those in a crisis pregnancy
Christian Library International | sharing God’s word and discipling those in prison
Eagle Ranch | making life better for children and their families
Feed the Need | feeding the hungry and sheltering the homeless
FCA | uniting faith and sports to impact the world
GBC Disaster Relief | helping in times of greatest tragedy
Gideons International | providing God’s Word to the world
Good News at Noon | feeding the hungry in our community
Good News Medical | providing medical and dental care for those in need
Good Samaritan Food Bank | feeding and caring for those in need
Mosaic Foster Care | supporting children and families in foster care
My Sister’s Place | helping women in need
Rahab’s Rope | giving hope and opportunity to women and girls in India’s sex trade
We Go Because Jesus Is Worth It
God is moving; we must go! We can talk and pray and give, but until someone actually goes and sees the nations in person, he or she is likely to underestimate the urgency of God’s global purpose in our lives. Because Jesus is worth it, we desire to take short-term trips to partner with believers in other contexts who are intentionally making disciples. These partnerships help move their disciple-making processes along in exponential ways. And as we go together, we grow together in Christ. Our eyes are opened, and our hearts are transformed as we serve in situations that often make us uncomfortable. Will you join us? Will you go, because Jesus is worth it?
Spring Break Student Trip. High school and college students helping Aaron Bennett with Spring of Life Church downtown Portland focus on evangelism, and community outreach projects.
LEADER: Ben Garrison and Marlana Branning
DATE: April 2-8
Helping Aaron Bennett plant Spring of Life Church in downtown Portland through community outreach and projects.
LEADER: Andrew Southerland and Linda Touchton
DATE: June 25-July 1
Work with Answers in Genesis and at the new Ark location as volunteers.
LEADER: Neal Mucklow
DATE: April 21-28
Men’s Ministry Trip. Assist local ministries in construction and cleaning projects while sharing the gospel.
LEADER: Sterling Lynn
DATE: July 21-29
This team will invest in the next generation through construction projects at Jackson Hole Bible College.
LEADER: Emory & Elaine Dunahoo
DATE: July 7-15
- North Carolina
Work with Joni and Friends Camp in an activity center at this camp for those with disabilities and their families.
LEADER: David & Lori Millwood
To work on a construction project at a youth camp outside Baton Rouge, an area recently affected by catastrophic flooding.
LEADER: Jim Wallace
DATE: February 2018
- New Orleans (Mission Trip for Middle School Boys and Girls)
Work with New Orleans Baptist Seminary to help with community and construction projects as well as Bible study.
LEADER: Josh Martin & Steve Agee
DATE: June 24-29
- North Africa
Using sports and agriculture ministry to develop relationships with unreached peoples.
LEADER: Clayton Dinn
DATE: April 12-21
- North Africa
One month ministry project with Christ Place unreached people group.
To love on orphans who live at a foster home and work with one of our IMB missionaries in the nearby villages.
LEADER: Doug and Julie Pritchard
DATE: July 13-24
Children’s Camp for families who live in and near the Village of Eden.
LEADER: Helping Hands Foreign Missions
Work alongside e3 Partners to minister through door-to-door evangelism, medical clinics, dedication of water wells in rural villages, presenting the Jesus Film,and the list goes on.
LEADER: Susan Harvin
DATE: July 12-22
To share the gospel with German teenagers while serving at an English camp.
LEADER: Dave & Karen Channell
DATE: May 27-June 5
- Haiti (High School/College and Young Pros Trip)
Partner with “My Life Speaks” to take the gospel and to serve the people of Neply, Haiti.
LEADER: Josh Allen and Ben Garrison
DATE: July 21-28
Partnering with Word of Life and community outreach and share the gospel in schools.
LEADER: Mike Robertson
DATE: June 28-July 9
- SpainOne way that we help in the efforts to reach North Africa with the gospel is by serving those who have been sent and are living there now. The International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention has more than 200 personnel in the North African countries, living among the people and sacrificing all to tell them about Jesus. We will support part of this team by serving at a missionary retreat in Spain. This is an opportunity to serve those who give up everything for the gospel.
LEADERS: Rob Britton
COST (approximate): $2,500
PURPOSE: Furthering the work of the gospel in North Africa by providing spiritual nourishment and encouragement to the missionary families who serve there.
- UgandaIn sub-Saharan Africa, Uganda is home to amazing natural beauty and majestic snow-capped mountains, lakes, waterfalls, and wildlife such as hippopotamus and gorillas. It is also one of the poorest countries in the world, with over a third of the population living on less than $1.25 a day. Most people living in rural areas depend on farming to survive. The Village of Eden is a 133-acre community in the eastern part of Uganda along the Kenyan border in the little bush village of Namuwombi. We are joining our partners there to minister to orphans and widows, serve the poor, and share God’s love.
LEADER: Stephen Odum & Kevin Ross (July), Richi Boullon (September)
DATE: July 5-15, September 15-20
COST (approximate): $2,800
PURPOSE: To bring joy and hope to the children and families who live in and near the Village of Eden through sports camps, medical support, community evangelism, and service projects.